Friday, April 17, 2009

My Poor little Brak

I took Brakkie for his dental surgery on Wednesday. I hated leaving him there as I know all about his separation anxiety. My scooter broke down twice on the way home, almost as if it didn't approve of me leaving him there.

But when I picked him up, my heart broke. They had to remove 33 of his teeth and now he has only 6 left. I knew the dental work needed to be done and I needed a bit of time to get the money together, but I had no idea how urgent it was. The Vet hadn't mentioned its urgency when I took him for a check up. I feel really terrible. The poor little chap must have been in agony. How could I not have known? They had to give him antibiotics and extra pain relief.

Later that night, his pain relief wore off. We crushed a pill and Michelle chewed meat to soften it (his mouth was very sore) and we rolled the meat over the crushed tablet in small pieces, and he got some relief after that.

Terrie, God bless her, was worried about him all day and came to visit him. Bless her, she lay on the floor with him for a while. Caelyn was having contractions which turned out to be strong Braxton Hicks, but Terrie said if I had to go to the hospital with Caelyn, she would come over and look after him. Wasn't that incredibly kind? I would have felt awful about leaving him but I would have put my daughter and her unborn baby first. It was a comfort to know someone really cared about him. Michelle would have helped but she works odd shifts so isn't always available.

Photobucket

We put him on the couch later, and Frog was there for comfort.
Photobucket

We put a blanket on him too. It is awful seeing him like this.
Photobucket

I am having great difficulty getting his antibiotic in him. He won't let anyone near his sore mouth and I tried to put it in some food but it was so bitter he wouldn't take it.

No comments: