Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Heat Wave

 Here we are in the middle of August 2020 and we have been sweltering for days. Its too hot to sleep so I thought it might be time for a bit of a catch up.

I moved to a new flat about two years ago. Objectively, the new flat is nicer than my previous one but I don't like it as much as I liked the old one.  I had to move because my landlord was selling up.  As I had lived there so long he allowed me to take time to find somewhere else.  It took 9 months to find a landlord who would allow me to have my dog. He's a great landlord and its a lovely flat.  Naturally, I have a cat too, but she's not 'official'. 

Several years ago, a friend and I started our own domiciliary Care business.  Driven by her, the business flourished.  It actually grew beyond my comfort level, but she made it enormously successful. She died two years ago and the business changed.  At first we went on on autopilot.  Clients died and carers left.  Now we are back to what I originally envisaged.  A few clients and a couple of carers.  A very small and very personal outfit. We are doing well, we enjoy what we do and our clients are cherished. 

Both of my daughters are single parents and although it takes a lot out of them, they are both excellent parents who put their children's needs before their own. Between them they have given me five grandchildren who are all very different. I love them all and enjoy them more than I enjoyed my own children. I think this is because as a mother you are always rushing to deadlines. Everything is regulated by the clock - up, wash, dress, breakfast and out of the door to school.  Rushing to work, hurrying to be in time to pick them up, homework, projects, shopping, cooking, bath, pyjamas, bed, housework. And so it goes on, the treadmill of family life. All this doesn't really apply to grandparents so time with grandchildren is relaxed and fun. 

No comments: