Sunday, November 12, 2006

Fruit Cake Recipe

This recipe for a light moist fruit cake has been in our family for years and is both delicious and Sue-Proof ie even I can't make a muck of it! Even people who don't generally like fruit cake come back for more as it is light and lovely.

INGREDIENTS
3 cups plain flour
375g butter (3/4lb)
1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar
6 eggs
1 and 1/2 cup raisins
1 and 1/2 cup sultanas
1 cup mixed peel
box glace cherries
60g almonds (2oz)
2 teaspoons mixed spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch salt
Half cup of Brandy (or Rum or Kirsch)

FIRST
Soak fruit in brandy for a couple of days

THEN
Cream butter and sugar.
Add eggs one at a time beating well after each one.
Add the soaked fruit.
Sift in flour, baking powder, spices and salt.
Bake in a 9" square tin for 4 hrs in a slow oven.
Splash with more brandy when out of the oven.
When cool, wrap in aluminium foil and give a good sprinkle of brandy every week until you decide to eat it.

1 comment:

Shaun said...

LOL LOL I can see with all the splashes, that it should be veeery moist. (giggle) It sounds scrumptious! I still have to make the marmie. But no one here likes the bitter stuff- I need to 1/2 the recipe and make it just for me. Who knows, I've introduced them to Marmite, Brie and Rooibus- maybe I'll give this a go. Hope you and family are feeling chipper!? Shaun